Thursday, May 15, 2014

Best Breadsticks

 I usually try a new breadstick recipe every time I make bread sticks.  I had found one years ago that I just loved, then lost.  When I found this recipe, I made a few adaptations, and they matched up pretty well to my lost love!  They are soft, a little chewy, buttery, cheesy, and garlicy.  All things I loo for in a good breadstick!




Adapted from here

Ingredients:
1½ cups water
1 tablespoon yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
3½-4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup butter
1 tsp crushed garlic
Garlic salt
Parmesan cheese

Directions:
1. Combine water, yeast, and sugar in large bowl. Allow to sit until yeast mixture is bubbly.
In medium bowl combine flour and salt.
2.Once yeast is bubbly, add dry ingredients and knead for 2 minutes (I used the dough hook on my Bosch)
**If dough is super sticky, add small amounts of flour until dough stops sticking to sides**
3. Cover bowl with clean dishcloth and let rise 20 minutes.
4. While dough is rising, preheat oven to 400°F.
5.Melt cube of butter and mix with crushed garlic.
6. Roll the dough into a rectangle about the size of the cookie sheet.
7. Using a pastry brush, brush the dough with the butter/garlic mixture.  Sprinkle with garlic salt (or kosher salt), then cover in Parmesan Cheese.
8. Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into one inch wide strips, then cut those strips in half.
9. Take a strip of dough, fold it in half and twist it to form the bread stick.
10.Arrange the breadsticks in a pan/cookie sheet and sprinkle tops with a little more garlic salt or powder (you don't want to over salt, so use your best salt judgement!) and Parmesan cheese
11. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until they are lightly golden brown on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment