I found this recipe on the side of a Duncan Hines Strawberry cake mix box, and I knew right away I wanted to try it. I love all things Strawberry right now (I blame it on the pregnancy), so I knew this would hit the spot. We decided to have it as a conclusion to our Sunday dinner. Oh my goodness this was good. I don't know how many of you are familiar with Jello Cake (a family favorite at our house), but this is very similar except it uses mostly pureed sweetened strawberries. This will definitely be made in our house again. It would have been the perfect Valentine's Day dessert!
Strawberry Cake Mix (and everything needed to make cake-eggs, water, oil...)
20 oz Sliced, sweetened, frozen strawberries*-thawed
2 cups Cool Whip
1 cup Milk
1 pkg. Vanilla Pudding (small package)
*I used 16 oz of strawberries, then added a mixture of 2 tbsp of jello dissolved in 1/2 cups of hot water (This turned out fantastically, I think it held the mixture together better, I will continue making it this way)
1. Make cake according to instructions on the box. Let cool.
2. Puree Strawberries (and jello water) in blender.
3. Poke holes-1 inch apart in cake using end of a wooden spoon.
4. Pour Strawberry mixture over cake, let soak into holes.
for the topping:
5. Mix milk and pudding together until well mixed.
6. Gently fold in Cool Whip until well combined.
7. Spread over top of cake.
*Refrigerate for at least 4 hrs.*
Mmmmm I think I may have some more before bed......