Sunday, April 22, 2012

A new Spaghetti

I love spaghetti, and my kids love spaghetti...however, my other half does not like it so much.  He will eat it, but isn't a big saucy meal fan.  But since he is gone most evenings I make it anyway :).  This is a new recipe I found is more of a spaghetti  bolognese -which I love.  It is supposed to be part of the Paleo diet (I have no idea what that is) and the author suggests using spaghetti squash (which I want to try out), but I just used it with everyday noodles!!!



 (One of these days I promise I will start taking better pictures!!!)

Ingredients:
1 Lb ground Beef
2 tbsp butter (I left this out, we didn't need the extra fat)
1/4 cup chopped bacon
1 large onion, chopped and diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 carrots, diced
2 celery sticks, diced
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 bay leaf
The equivalent of 2 cans whole meaty tomatoes
*Optional heavy cream (makes the sauce less acidic)
salt and pepper to taste
Fresh parsley for garnishing.


Directions:

  1. Heat a large dutch oven or pot. Cook the ground beef and bacon for about 5 minutes.
  2. Remove the meat with a slotted spoon and set aside.
  3. Use the same dutch oven or pot to cook the other ingredients (carrots, celery, onion, garlic and oregano). Cook the vegetables until soft at medium heat.
  4. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, ground beef, bacon and bay leaf. You can break the tomatoes a bit, but the cooking process will break anyway.
  5. Season with salt and pepper. You can also add some chili or hot pepper flakes for more heat.
  6. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 45 minutes.
  7. In the mean time, heat your oven to 350 F.
  8. *Once your bolognese sauce is cooked, you can add about 1/2 cup to a cup of heavy cream. This will make the sauce less acidic.*
  9. Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment