Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Coconut Chicken Curry

Ok, I love Curry.  Especially Indian Curry.  And you can't really find Indian Curry out in Georgia (near where I live).  When I was pregnant with my most recent baby-and I think my first as well, I really craved A certain type of India Curry that I always got from Bombay House (an Indian Restaurant) when I was living in Utah.  It was sooo yummy, and all we had out here was Thai Curry (which isn't bad, it just isn't the same).  And then a month or 2 ago, I found this recipe, tried it, and LOVED IT!  It is exactly the Curry I would get at Bombay house, tasted the same, and hit the spot.  Love it.  If you love Curry, try this.  It is fantastic!


Found on Favorite Family Recipes (you will see more of them from me, they have some GREAT stuff I want to make!)

Ingredients:
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch chunks or strips
1 teaspoon salt and pepper, or to taste
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2-3 Tbsp. curry powder
1-2 tsp. cayenne (I just used a pinch, my husband doesn't like spice)
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 golden potatoes, cut into chunks
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk (I used light)
1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed, diced tomatoes
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
3 tablespoons sugar
Jasmine rice (cooked)



Directions:
1. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
2. Heat oil, curry powder, and cayenne in a large skillet over medium-high heat for five minutes. Stir in onions and garlic, and cook 10 minutes more or until onions are very clear. (Open your windows, this will be strong!)
3. Add chicken, tossing lightly to coat with curry oil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in center and juices run clear.
4. Add potatoes, then add coconut milk, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chopped cilantro, and sugar into the pan, and stir to combine.
5. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30-40 minutes or until sauce thickens.
6. Serve with Jasmine rice and garnish with cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment