Saturday, June 5, 2010

Coconut Pineapple Cake


I found this recipe here while looking on Food Gawker a while ago (a favorite past time of mine), and since my spouse doesn't care for Pineapple, I decided to wait until I was on vacation at my parents home to make it since I knew more people would eat it there.  Troy did tell me I could make it but I should just put pineapple on half the cake...but then that would mean I'd have to eat half a cake!  Which I could probably do, but would probably hate myself for afterward when I saw the effects in the mirror! I made this the other night, and I personally thought it was great!  Try it out for yourself!  It is a great summer treat.

    


Ingredients:

1 (18.25-ounce) box yellow cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare
1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 (3.4-ounce) box French vanilla pudding, plus ingredients to prepare
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup flaked, sweetened toasted coconut


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Prepare yellow cake mix as directed on the box as well as the cooking time.
3. While cake is baking, combine the pineapple and 1 cup of sugar (I would recommend ½ cup) in a saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
4. Remove cake from oven and using a fork, pierce holes into cake. Pour pineapple mixture over hot cake and set aside.
5. Prepare pudding according to package directions. Spread pudding over cake and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
6. Whip heavy cream and remaining sugar until stiff. Cover top of cake with whipped cream and sprinkle toasted coconut on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment