Thursday, November 12, 2009

Banana Bread

I got an email last week from Sam at Oh! Nuts asking me if he could send me some nuts to bake with then post the items on my blog.  Of course I agreed and asked for some Hazelnuts, Macadamia Nuts, and Walnuts.  I have some big plans for the weekend or early next week, but today I made Banana Bread and used some of the Walnuts and Macadamia nuts.  I used a new recipe that I found on allrecipes because I felt like trying something new.  I read everyone's reviews on this recipe and they all loved it...but they all made their own tweaks.  So I decided to go outside my comfort zone and tweak as well...it worked out ok.  I will give you the Original recipe with the tweaks out to the side.  I like the bread regardless.  I am a banana bread fan so I am good to go with a nice slice and warm banana bread in front of me.  Give it a try!

Best Ever Banana Bread


Ingredients

  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/3 cup buttermilk (don't have buttermilk in the house? (like me) use 1 tsp of lemon juice and enough milk to make 1/3 c.  then let sit for 5 min.  Wah-lah buttermilk)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup mashed bananas
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar (I used 1 c white, 1/2 c brown.  Why?  I don't know)
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional) (I used walnuts and macadamia nuts)

(I also added a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg and a tiny bit of vanilla)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Spray one 9x5 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray coating.
  2. Blend together the eggs, buttermilk, oil and bananas.
  3. Sift together the sugar, flour, baking soda and salt. Add to banana mixture and stir in pecans. Mix well.
  4. Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
 
So should you choose to make this yummy bread, try using your own variation!  Don't be afraid to deviate from the recipe!  Don't be like me!  I'm recovering.  The next recipe I am going to try doesn't come from one thing, I am throwing a couple of things together, so we'll see!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment