Friday, October 23, 2009

Starting something new

Well I figured I would combine some of my favorite things and blog about them, food and Children's Books. Strange combination, I know. I am sure there are people blogging about even weirder things. I know there is at least one person out there who will keep up with this blog, so Jen, I'm doing this for you! Now I can keep up on these things and share them! So here we go!!!! Mt very first entry. I promise to keep up on this blog as opposed to my old food blog that I have now neglected. But what can you do. Sometimes you have a baby and forget about what you used to enjoy, well not anymore!. I'm feeling a little festive today, so I will give you all a little review of this holiday book (and you'll get a food post this weekend, and more next week since next Saturday is a big day for all of you who enjoy each and every holiday!

The House that Drac Built
By: Judy Sierra
Illustrated by: Will Hillenbrand


This is a fun book that builds, like "There was an Old Woman who Swallowed a Frog".  This is a repetitive book since it always comes back to the first and most memorable phrase, perfect for preschoolers and young elementary students!  It starts with "This is the House that Jack built", and moves on to Zombies, Werewolves, Mummies, and so on.  I think this is a fun book, the illustrations are pretty intense, but I am a sucker for Holiday books, especially Christmas, but Halloween is great as well, and I always love picking up a festive book to read because it always takes you back to some place or time.  This book's illustrations reminds me of Halloweens when I was little and was afraid of the "Scary stories to tell in the Dark" books (but the illustrations aren't as creepy).  But one thing I really liked about this book, especially for children is that the children (trick-or-treaters) enter the book towards the end and help to make well of the situation.  See, during the build of the story, a few characters reek havoc on some of the more innocent characters in the book(if a Mummy and Werewolf can actually be considered innocent :) ), and the Children come to save the day and sort of comfort the disheveled cat, bat, and so on.  

So would I recommend this book (Not that I'm any expert or anything, I just have an affinity for children's books)?  I think so.  Some of the character's illustrations may be a little scary, but hey, it's Halloween!  This is a book I have in my collection, and don't worry, my 3 month old isn't scared :)

Check out your local library for a copy if you don't want to purchase!

(I promise that next time I wont write so much stuff and spoil the ending!)

1 comment:

  1. Woo hoo! Great idea Kristin. I'm always looking for good books to use in my class. Not to mention I'm always looking for more food ideas too. I'm super excited!

    ReplyDelete