Friday, April 22, 2011

Peanut Butter Cup Caramel Shortbread Bars (aka PB Twix)

 I found this recipe on Our Best Bites (a fav of mine), and knew right away that I wanted to try them.  But, the spouse and I are trying to cut back on our sugar and eat better so we can both get our post baby bods back.  But then we were planning on having our Church's missionaries over for dinner and I decided we needed a dessert.  So I decided to make half a batch so there wouldn't be too many leftovers (especially with candy crazed Easter on the Horizon!).  These little buggers took a little longer to make than I had anticipated, so they spent some time in the freezer (leave yourself some time to make these-believe me they are worth it!).  While making them I was worried that they weren't going to turn out to be what me and my taste buds had envisioned,  But as soon as we tried them I knew it was love.  There were seriously sooo good.  After sampling, the man of the house said they wouldn't make it to tomorrow, and they almost didn't!  The addition of the Reeses instead of just plain chocolate made these amazing!  If you have a free afternoon, I would suggest giving these a try!

This is a day after pic (of the last one) so it isn't the best example.  If you want a good representation, check out the finished product on Our Best Bites!  And I'll be sure to get a picture before we inhale our next goody!-And next time I make these I will be sure to watch the chocolate a little more closely!


Ingredients:

1 c. salted butter at room temperature
1 c. powdered sugar
2 c. all-purpose flour, lightly spooned into measuring cups and leveled with a knife
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. caramels (1 14-oz. package Kraft caramel or 2 c. homemade caramel)
1-3 tablespoons cream (1 if using Kraft caramels, 3 for firmer or homemade caramel)
3 cups mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups (about 1 1/2 11-oz. bags)

Directions: 

1. Preheat oven to 300. Grease a 9×13″ pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar, flour, and vanilla until the mixture comes together.
3. Lightly press the shortbread dough into the pan. Prick with a fork to prevent the crust from bubbling.
4. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the crust is lightly golden.
5.  When cooked, run a knife around the edges of the bars. Allow to cool completely.
6. Combine the caramels and cream in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring each minute, until the mixture is smooth.
7. Spread evenly over the cookie crust, then place the pan in the refrigerator and chill for 30-60 minutes or until the caramel is solid.
8. In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the unwrapped Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups until melted and smooth (Mine were past the smooth point but not yet burnt, so be careful!!!), stirring each 45 seconds.  Spread over the cooled caramel.
9. Place in refrigerator for 1-2 hours or until the chocolate layer is solid.
10.  Cut into squares and serve!!!  (store in a cool/dry place, like your fridge)

No comments:

Post a Comment